Pecan shortbread bars are delicious strips of buttery shortbread topped with crunchy nuts. These addictive cookie bars are the perfect treat to enjoy with a hot cup of coffee or tea, or as a snack throughout the day. The best part? You just to spend 10 minutes of prep before placing these in the oven to bake. Seriously, if you love shortbread, then you will love shortbread topped with pecans.
Why You'll Love Pecan Toffee Bars
- It's quick and easy to make. These bars take less than 10 minutes to prepare with only 6 simple ingredients which you probably already have in your pantry.
- A lighter version of pecan pie. These pecan toffee bars will remind you of a much lighter version of pecan pie but with minimal calories. This is huge if you are like me and obsessed with all things pecan pie --from Classic Pecan Pie to Caramel Pecan Pie Cheesecake Bars to Chopped Pecan Pie.
- The perfect handheld snack. Because these bars are not super sweet, they classify in between a dessert and a snack. Which means that you can enjoy these as a snack any time of day. You can even sneak in a piece after breakfast.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make these delicious pecan shortbread bars, you will need the following ingredients:
- all-purpose flour
- vanilla extract
- pecans - If you don’t have pecans in your pantry, switch out the nuts with walnuts, slivered almonds, or chopped pistachios. Anything!
You could even add sea salt along with the pecans for a savory taste, or add some chocolate chips towards the end.
You will also need measuring cups and spoons, mixing bowls, and a quarter sheet baking pan.
How to Make the Best Pecan Toffee Bars
- Combine ingredients. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, butter, vanilla, and egg yolk. Beat until blended well, scraping down the sides as needed. Spray a quarter sheet baking pan (15x10-inch or slightly smaller) with baking spray. Turn the dough out into the prepared baking sheet and press with the palms of your hand to even out.
- Add egg wash and pecans. In a small bowl, beat the egg white and brush it on top of the prepared dough. Add chopped pecans. You could add 1 teaspoon of sea salt along with the nuts for a different taste.
- Bake. Bake in a 275 F preheated oven for one hour, or until golden. Cut into strips immediately before the bars harden. Transfer bars to a wire cooling rack to cool.
- How to customize: These treats are easy to customize. You can add 1 teaspoon of sea salt along with the nuts for a salty flavor. Or, pull out the bars 5 minutes early and add chopped chocolate or chocolate chips, return to the oven, and finish baking.
- How to store: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- How to freeze: To freeze, arrange the shortbread bars in a single layer in an airtight container. Then add a layer of parchment paper and place another layer of shortbread cookies on top. You can also transfer them to a freezer bag once frozen.
More Shortbread Cookie Recipes
- Slice and Bake Pecan Shortbread Cookies
- Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies
- Carrot Cake Shortbread Cookies
- Pecan Snowball Cookies
- Linzer Cookies
- Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Heart Cookies
- Jam-Filled Thumbprint Cookies with Almond Glaze
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @bakehousedessertsblog so that I can follow along.
Pecan Shortbread Bars
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (+ 2 tablespoons) at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg separated
- ½ cup pecans finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 275 F. Spray a small quarter sheet baking pan (15x10-inch or slightly smaller) with baking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, butter, vanilla, and egg yolk. Beat until blended well, scraping down the sides as needed. Turn the dough out into the prepared baking sheet and press with the palms of your hand to even out.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg white and brush it on top of the prepared dough. Add chopped pecans (or any other type of nut).
- Bake for one hour, or until golden.
- Cut into strips immediately before the bars harden. Cool on a wire rack.
- For a savoury twist, add 1 teaspoon of sea salt to the top along with the nuts.